Home Comfort Broiler

Jeffrey R.

Home Comfort - The Malleable Iron Range Co. - Beaver Dam WI

Malleable Iron Range Company was a company that existed from 1896 to 1985 and primarily produced kitchen ranges made of malleable iron, but also produced a variety of other related products.

Does anyone else have any other cast iron pieces from this company. Every time I run into these old cast broilers they find there way home with me.

broiler_0709.jpg

broiler_0710.jpg

broiler_0711.jpg

Credit, Wikipedia

Once again, you've hit me where I live..

What a beauty: just so sleek. Is it an 8 or 9 inch diameter, designed to replace a cookstove lid for broiling? A neighbor has an oval model, which replaces tow lids and what we call the "I" between, that are over the firebox of a cookstove.

The only Home Comfort I'm familiar with is from the Wrought Iron Range Co in St. Louis, MO. Don't know anything about its history.

Once again, you've hit me where I live..

What a beauty: just so sleek. Is it an 8 or 9 inch diameter, designed to replace a cookstove lid for broiling? A neighbor has an oval model, which replaces tow lids and what we call the "I" between, that are over the firebox of a cookstove.

The only Home Comfort I'm familiar with is from the Wrought Iron Range Co in St. Louis, MO. Don't know anything about its history.

Not sure that I follow you on your first statement. "Once again, you've hit me where I live.."

"The only Home Comfort I'm familiar with is from the Wrought Iron Range Co in St. Louis, MO." Help me here MikeZ, Doug has Home Comfort listed as being a name / part of The Malleable Iron Range Co. - Beaver Dam WI.

If you would tell me more about your Home Comfort brand. Thank you.

Bonnie, Yes the handle is very nice.

That is a beautiful piece. I saw my first one a month or so ago, and had no idea what it was. So, educate me, if you would. This doesn't fit my concept of modern day broiling, where the heat is from above. This seems to be more like grilling to me, assuming this would have been used over a stove eye with the heat from below. Has the concept of broiling just changed over the years or am I missing something?

You're applying a 20th century version of broiling to a 19th century implement. Modern oven broilers only heat from above so that drippings can fall away into a catch pan vs. onto a heating element or burner below. The old way, on a woodstove, any drippings would just be vaporized in the firebox.

Thanks, Doug. That's kind of what I figured as I was looking at this piece, but wanted to make sure I was coming to the right conclusion.

I'm going to say it probably is Wrought Iron Range Co, not Malleable Iron. The only places I can find it referred to as being Malleable Iron all source back to Steve Stephens' foundry list.

I'm going to say it probably is Wrought Iron Range Co, not Malleable Iron. The only places I can find it referred to as being Malleable Iron all source back to Steve Stephens' foundry list.

Doug,The only two places that I found any link to Home Comfort - The Malleable Iron Range Co. - Beaver Dam WI was on both your site and Steve Stephens list.
http://www.gcica.org/forum/showthread.php/190-Foundries.

Maybe MikeZ will step in and fill in some of the blanks.

Better yet, maybe Steve Stephens can shed some light on this.

Thank you.

Here's a pix of a couple of emblems from a Home Comfort cookstove: what I based my comment about the manufacturer on. I bought/sold one about 40 years ago and know where one is sitting awaiting a buyer right now. I found these many years ago on a rusted hulk in an abandoned logging operations camp.

Jeffrey, my comment about hitting me where I live relates to appealing to my love of older pieces and the aesthetics involved and how I feel emotionally when I see a great piece (by my standards). I could say "touch me where I live", but to me that's just ooooing and cooing. Pieces like this grill or your 4 burner lamp stove are more like WHOA and BANG! Just being philosophical here, maybe even silly… Keep up the great work with these finds.

Attachments

• Home Comfort.jpg
    Home Comfort.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 28
It was a bit strange that I could not find any connection to Home Comfort and The Malleable Iron Range Co. other than both on CIC foundry list and Steve Stephens list. I did not want to rock the boat till I he'd better info. Thank you for the info and photo.

"Jeffrey, my comment about hitting me where I live" That is OK Mike, I will be easy on you and not tell you when I have been hunting over in Maine. Only let you know that the lobster was very good.:eek:

So I was hitting you where your heart is. When I started collecting cast iron to keep some of myself. A little history. Every thing I have collected over the years and still do, gets out of control. The good thing is that I know when to cash in. So back to the cast iron. I told the wife that I would only keep pieces that we would use, and only Griswold. Well that was a big lie, who was I fooling. So I have more Griswold that I use. Also I have a liking for some early pieces that I am keeping, as my heart is there also. :icon_thumbsup:

Back