Buying skillets to use, priorities.

PamelaOryshchyn

Hello! I am new to the site and newish to buying cast iron. I’ve got a few pans that sit on my stove and get frequent use. One of them is a number 8 GRISWOLD that was given to me several years ago. My kids have fallen in love with it, prompting me to venture to buy them all their own pans for Christmas.
As I have started searching, I’ve realized there are many factors to consider when buying hollow ware, and a lot to learn. For instance, I found one seller on a popular auction site who refurbishes pieces and rates the interior and exterior finishes and notes if there is any wobble when on a flat cook top; which is the most important factor when considering future use? I’m guessing it is either the interior condition or the potential wobble?
How likely am I to find 3 number 8’s with excellent interiors and no wobble? How much would that probably cost me? I emailed the seller I found but he didn’t respond, so no help there. How many sellers are there that refurbish skillets? Are there other places to buy them besides the auction site?

It's reasonable to expect that, since no pan you're considering will be new, there will be some utensil marks from past usage. Pitting from rust or other unusual erosion is to be avoided. Wobble can be subjective; some sellers will describe it in terms of how many sheets of paper it takes slid under a side to stop the movement on a flat surface. Wobble is less of an issue if usage is to be confined to a gas burner grate or in the oven. Still, one would prefer the flattest bottom possible, and no one wants a "spinner". You may want to factor the reason for purchase into your decision; there were many pans made during the same period as vintage Griswold or Wagner that were unmarked but of the same quality, and which can usually be found for much less than those sought after as collectibles. Other buying considerations:

If you're looking on eBay, there's plenty to choose from. Pans that are already refurbished are, of course, more expensive. Most sellers are honest about the pan and its flatness. That's because they value their seller rating. However, one can also say a slight wobble when it's really a lot worse than that.

Personally, I look for the unfinished and more affordable pans and hope for the best outcome after I do my work to it. And that has backfired on me a few times. There's just no substitute for finding a pan in a flea market (etc.) where you can hold it in your hand and decide if it's worth the price.

Thanks Craig and Doug for your replies. I’ve read the buying guide, lots of helpful information there. Thanks for the tip to avoid pitting, I didn’t know that. I think given my level of expertise (none), I might be better off paying the extra for pans that are refurbished already. Unless it’s easy enough to discern condition in the raw state? With my luck, I would buy cracked pans or some such. I get what you’re saying though. I’ve been a collector of dolls and other things and it’s quite the feeling to find a nice specimen in the wild for a great price.

It's reasonable to expect that, since no pan you're considering will be new, there will be some utensil marks from past usage. Pitting from rust or other unusual erosion is to be avoided. Wobble can be subjective; some sellers will describe it in terms of how many sheets of paper it takes slid under a side to stop the movement on a flat surface. Wobble is less of an issue if usage is to be confined to a gas burner grate or in the oven. Still, one would prefer the flattest bottom possible, and no one wants a "spinner". You may want to factor the reason for purchase into your decision; there were many pans made during the same period as vintage Griswold or Wagner that were unmarked but of the same quality, and which can usually be found for much less than those sought after as collectibles. Other buying considerations:
Also, what would I look for to identify high quality unbranded pans? That might be a good option for us.

Back