Chicago Hardware #88? Identify

BStevens

I love seeing the pictures you all post. I am fascinated by all the interesting pieces. I could use a little help here.

My brother asked me to etank his old dutch oven. I told him that I thought it was Chicago Hardware Foundry #88 (based on size), and expected to see the mold markings on the bottom once it came out of the tank.

There are no markings on the bottom (ghost or otherwise). Did CHF have a time when they did not put size on the bottom of the pan? Maybe this isn't CHF? It is shallow dimpled. No bale...just handles.

The lid is still in the etank. Thanks in advance. I look forward to any information I can get.

Attachments

• CHF Dutch 2.jpg
    CHF Dutch 2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 86
  • CHF Dutch 3.jpg
    CHF Dutch 3.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 76
  • CHF Dutch 1.jpg
    CHF Dutch 1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 68
That is an interesting DO. I think the lid and the handle on the lid will give us more clues to the maker. Please post a picture of the lid when you take it out of the lye. The hammer pattern looks like Wagner to me but I'm not sure.

Thank you, Bonnie. Never thought Wagner.

I already started seasoning the lid. When it came out of the tank, I did see a "B", almost handwritten, on the lid.

The piece belonged to my great-grandfather, so I know it was purchased before 1930.

I have included pictures of the lid. The piece is in really nice condition.

Attachments

• IMG_0866.jpg
    IMG_0866.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0867.jpg
    IMG_0867.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 49
Here is the finished product.

I will probably do a batch of gumbo in it before giving it back to my brother. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0860.jpg
    IMG_0860.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 40
Thanks,

I appreciate your replies.

Since CHF bought the molds from Piqua, I can further identify this DO.

I am going with unmarked CHF. Possibly from a Piqua mold.

There is no evidence that Favorite Piqua did any hammered pieces. These are CHF, and they never marked them any other way.

Here is some photo proof of a hammered Favorite skillet. I would really like to find one in person though. Obviously quite rare…

Attachments

• IMG_7625.jpeg
    IMG_7625.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7624.jpeg
    IMG_7624.jpeg
    289.2 KB · Views: 11
Still need to make the distinction between Favorite Piqua Ware and CHF Favorite Cookware, two different manufacturers, the latter having acquired patterns from the former. CHF Favorite Ni-Resist is yet another animal, but is also not Favorite Piqua.

Back