Crofton pans are made of what ?

I just picked up a 10" and 12" crofton pair with a sort of swirl pattern on the cooking surface. It doesn't feel like teflon, and its got light rust.
It looks like it was gouged up with a wire wheel matter of fact, and I know by practice that's near impossible to do by hand to steel and get it that nice and uniform all around like a perfectly drawn set of a 1000 spirals.
Is it a mild steel pan, did they make those ? I cant find any info on that (I see CI, non stick, stainless crofton info etc etc but not on what may be bare steek)

It is said that curiosity killed the cat, and I realize that OP did not provide a photograph of the Crofton pan yet, but curiosity got the better of me and I did some research about the brand.

Crofton is registered to ALDI, a German supermarket chain that also has outlets in the US. Images found on the web clearly shows that Crofton is manufactured in China, imported, and distributed exclusively by ALDI. However, true to the internet's nature, there is conflicting information regarding this brand.

Website A: "We don’t know who makes Aldi cast iron products, including skillets and Dutch ovens. Aldi labels like Crofton aren’t companies, so Aldi sources from a variety of manufacturers, even under the same brand label. That means Crofton cookware may come from different makers, both from year to year and from product to product."

Website B: "Crofton cookware is made by a German company called Aldi. Aldi has its headquarters in Essen, Germany, and also has production facilities in China and Vietnam. However, it’s really not made in China. It’s produced in Italy and then shipped to China for packaging and also to add some additional elements to it."

Confused? Yes, so am I.

Crofton cast iron skillets are sometimes on sale at ALDI for as little as $9.99.

I am so sorry guys. Its in the bag that was in my car, and its gone off for a little ride for a few days with the kiddo to college. If he cleans and uses it, its likely to not be back. But then again 90% its going to be back rustier than even in 3 days.

Back