Damaged Cast Iron - Book

IMG_2739.jpgIMG_2740.jpg
Its a lovely wagner, but it came with a chunk missing. I have looked for books and I barely trust anything that I am gaining from the internet, but

1. Is there a way to build out the missing portion I do not have. My husband works all kinds of metal, so I think it is possible, but worry about damage.
2. Is there a book somewhere about restoring cast iron everything? The one book I found online leaves me skeptical because it looks like they are using a sander on their skillet. I would use that if all hope were lost on a piece.

Thanks in advance.

You probably wont be able to fix it and still be safe to cook with. I have a Griswold #9 round griddle, with a similiar chunk missing. I still cook with it, its just not collectable anymore I guess.

You probably wont be able to fix it and still be safe to cook with. I have a Griswold #9 round griddle, with a similar chunk missing. I still cook with it, its just not collectable anymore I guess.
Would welding it be a possibility? If I find a piece that can be fabricated, it is my thinking that it could at least "patch" the hole to prevent loss of batter.

Welding cast iron can be done, but it takes a special rod made solely for welding cast iron to do it. It's been a while since I tried to find any of that rod, but i think it was made for both Acetylene and stick welding. Any welding supply store should be able to get it for you if they don't have it in stock, but it is pretty pricey. Just be warned, you may not like the results once you are done. Not that many welders have welded cast iron on any kind of a regular basis, and for me at least, it is a very difficult weld to get to stick or look even close to smooth. Fabricating a piece to weld into the gap is going to be a challenge in itself. If your husband is an experienced welder, he may be able to pull it off. If I were doing it, I'd get enough rod to make several practice welds before I attempted the repair. Good Luck.

Either broken or repaired, the collectible value is gone. I don't see repairing it as worth the effort. It may still be able to be used as-is by starting the batter in the intact side. Maybe one day you'll run across another set with a damaged paddle or an orphaned paddle that's a match.

Welding cast iron can be done, but it takes a special rod made solely for welding cast iron to do it. It's been a while since I tried to find any of that rod, but i think it was made for both Acetylene and stick welding. Any welding supply store should be able to get it for you if they don't have it in stock, but it is pretty pricey. Just be warned, you may not like the results once you are done. Not that many welders have welded cast iron on any kind of a regular basis, and for me at least, it is a very difficult weld to get to stick or look even close to smooth. Fabricating a piece to weld into the gap is going to be a challenge in itself. If your husband is an experienced welder, he may be able to pull it off. If I were doing it, I'd get enough rod to make several practice welds before I attempted the repair. Good Luck.
He said he would look at it. He is an expert welder, but is reluctant to work on it. He is also an excellent fabricator, so there is a bit of hope. It may be a project for him if he has time in the future. I know a bit about welding and have done so badly a time or two. d

Either broken or repaired, the collectible value is gone. I don't see repairing it as worth the effort. It may still be able to be used as-is by starting the batter in the intact side. Maybe one day you'll run across another set with a damaged paddle or an orphaned paddle that's a match.
I am not a collector of cast iron for the value of the piece. I am the crazy person sick of junk that is collecting the quality stuff from yesterday. The pans are just the start and they still work and while it might take a bit of extra time, I will not be throwing it in the trash after six months because the tech went out of it like my less-than-a-year old freezer that is being taken back because it will not hold temperature. I will own these once and that is it.

Back