Paint?

CraigA.

I recently came up with a BSR Red Mountain pan. It has the small pour spouts so I'm assuming it's from the transition period.
My problem is that it seems to be coated in a thick layer of paint. Feels like an oil based paint and I'm wondering if that will clean off in a lye bath.

Just finished a large pan that was painted. Had a large pancake shape floating on top of the E-tank that was paint and curd from the inside of the skillet.

My little pan cleaned up nicely with some scrubbing from a SS wire brush in spots.

I just can't figure why anyone would paint a cast iron pan...

Sand/bead blasting is generally frowned upon for collectable CI, especially CI with a smooth finish. My personal opinion is that if the object already has a rough surface, sand/bead blasting isn't really going to hurt anything. But... I could be chastised here for saying that.

Sand/bead blasting can change the original patina of even as-cast (unpolished) surfaces. To the experienced eye, it can make those surfaces more uniform and fine-grained looking. In other words, just wrong.

I remember an automobile body guy who could match the orange peel of a factory paint job. Same sort of thing, I guess.

Back