Potential ID

Scott J.

I stopped in a local antique/vintage mall today. There were a few interesting pieces but I passed on them until I could look them up in the RB & BB. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures. When I got home, I couldn't find (or just flat missed) anything definitive in either RB or BB. The place is not far from home so I can probably get some pictures tomorrow.

I saw what appeared to be a one notch Lodge. Definitely only one notch in the heat ring. Incised number at 12 O'clock but the number at 6 O'clock was incised, not raised. I don't have any one notch Lodges and it looked nice and was not expensive. Is this most likely a Lodge?

1060 Wagner Ware skillet with stylized logo. I have one that I inherited that does not have a number on top of the handle. The one I saw today has a "10" on top of the handle. My faulty photographic memory doesn't remember if the "10" was raised or incised but I am thinking incised. Is the one with the "10" from a slightly different era? It needs a bit of cleaning but is otherwise nice, $65.

There was also a BSR 6CBS Corn Bread Skillet that I will get to go along with my 8 Segment Corn Bread Skillet. I can't figure out how to link to my old post with my large Corn Bread Skillet but its title is "Cornbread Wedge Pan" from 25 Aug 2022 to see pictures of my large pan.

The post number at the top right of each post is a link to it. On mobile press and hold it until an operations menu comes up.

Although pattern inconsistencies are sometimes seen, the expectation would be that if a Wagner #10 smooth bottom skillet had 1060 on the bottom, it would have an incised 10 on the top of the handle.

Now, if an old heat ring #10 Wagner skillet had 1060 on the bottom and no incised 10 on the handle, one might pass it off as forgetting to update an older size number skillet pattern completely when they started adding catalog numbers to pans. At that time the size number was moved from 6 o'clock to the top of the handle and was replaced by the catalog number.

A one-notch Lodge pattern may have managed to survive long enough and be revised with early 1950s markings, but I don't know of any instance of Lodge ever putting incised size numbers on handle tops.

Both 1060 skillets are smooth bottom. There is some build-up on the handle of the 1060 I inherited but I don't think there is enough to totally block an incised 10 on the top of the handle. Maybe one day I'll strip it and find out but for now it's not really cruddy and it cooks well.

I don't think there was an incised number on the top of the handle of the one notch pan. I'll take a good look in the RB and BB before I go tomorrow to look for other inconsistencies.

Thanks for the help.

I was mistakenly looking at the next paragraph and reading, "doesn't remember if the "10" was raised or incised but I am thinking incised". I guess since Wagner never did raised size numbers, I must have thought I was still reading about the Lodge.

I didn't check yesterday but today I checked the #10 Lodge. It had a bit of a spin so I didn't get it. It didn't spin like a top but I passed.

I bought the 6CBS.

The one notch skillet didn't look quite right. The handle bottom was different than the picture in RB page 223. When I got home I looked at a similar pan that "we" decided was probably a copy using a Lodge skillet as a starter. Today's skillet is Size 3, with P4 incised at 6 o"clock. I didn't buy it. Attached photos are this skillet.

Similar skillet from Aug 2022:
https://www.castironcollector.com/forum/threads/skillet-id.8783/post-51184

Attachments

• 3-P4 Skillet Top.jpeg
    3-P4 Skillet Top.jpeg
    20.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 3-P4 Skillet Bottom.jpeg
    3-P4 Skillet Bottom.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 9
Back