Removing chrome plating with lye?

Has anyone done this successfully? Internet search indicates it’s possible to do, but hoping someone here has actually done so and can relate their experience.

Using your thread title, I scanned several Google results and was surprised to find many that said it would work. My own experience with cleaning chromed pans with lye says that it doesn't. I noted that some search results were talking about "chrome" on model cars, which is apparently actually aluminum. I could buy that. I would suspect that if lye did remove chrome, it would have to be at a far higher strength than we use for cast iron cleaning, I noted multiple other sources talked about how well it removed chrome specifically on aluminum substrates, seemingly ignorant of the fact that lye (sodium hydroxide) dissolves aluminum, and quite easily at the strength commonly used to clean CI.

• Sodium Hydroxide (Caustic Soda): Often used for aluminum substrates, sodium hydroxide effectively removes chrome plating without damaging the underlying aluminum. However, caution is required as it is a strong alkali that can cause burns.

Hmm, that’s utterly bizarre that people were using lye with aluminum. My understanding is the result is a toxic gas. And Craig, that’s been my experience as well. Ok, back to the drawing board!

Back