So, I got a Blacklock spider skillet

Carl_M

Any idea how much this is worth?

At first, I thought the handle was broken and had been repaired (looks like it was made from a flattened railroad spike). But as I look closer, I'm wondering if it's a prototype, perhaps? The repair must have been done a LONG time ago and appears to be just as old as the item itself.

Also, I think this the only 9 inch known to exist.

Thoughts?

Almost like the handle was an afterthought or something.

Great score.
Correct. Every vintage spider skillet I've ever seen has a handle that is even with the top ridge of the skillet. This one clearly never had such a handle.

Here's a pic if a different spider that I have next to the Blacklock 9in. With the one on the left, you can clearly see the flat handle that is even with the top ridge of the pan. Clearly the Blacklock never had a handle like that. I think that this railroad spike is the original handle, and that this is a very early design. I think it's a prototype.

I wouldn't go so far as to presume prototype. More like jury-rigged. We can assume Blacklock made the cover, but not necessarily the pan. I have seen a 9" Blacklock cover paired with a pan that has the typical handle, but there's no guarantee they weren't a marriage. Is the handle and attachment part of the casting, or just secured through a drilled hole?

I wouldn't go so far as to presume prototype. More like jury-rigged. We can assume Blacklock made the cover, but not necessarily the pan. I have seen a 9" Blacklock cover paired with a pan that has the typical handle, but there's no guarantee they weren't a marriage. Is the handle and attachment part of the casting, or just secured through a drilled hole?
Definitely not part of the casting. I’m sure it’s secured through a hole. But the confusing thing is…there aren’t any cracks or signs of any break, and it’s never had a typical spider skillet handle. Are there spider skillets that DON’T have a flat handle that’s even with the top?

Yes, it looks jerry-rigged, but in a different way. It doesn't look like someone broke off the original handle later years later, and then rigged it. It looks like it never had an original handle and it was rigged when it was first created.

Back