Unknown No. 8 Lid

Lorin O.

In my collection I have a No. 8 cast iron lid that I would like help identifying. The Lid is smooth inside with no dimples or drip points of any kind, and is marked with a "No 8" similar to a Martin marking, but period is above the "o", and no ears on the handle. Can anyone help identify the maker and

Attachments

• 20240713_111714.jpg
    20240713_111714.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240713_111733.jpg
    20240713_111733.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 8
Right, and the number marking "No" has a dot or period above the "o" and Martins tend to have the "o" underlined? Do you think it is an unmarked Martin for a store or specific customer?

P.S., thanks for the input!!

I have an archive of about 35,000 images of cast iron pieces, not all necessarily titled as to what they are. A search of it for "lid" returned two images of this same lid. One photo shows it sitting on top of what is obviously a Vollrath DO. Not saying that's what it is, but it could provide a clue as to where to look.

Thanks, I went back and fitted it to a Vollrath # 8 skillet. Perfect fit, so Vollrath DO lid makes sense do to the dimensions of Vollrath products. Thank You!!

The fit may still be just coincidence. Off the top of my head, BSR is about the only one I know who purposely made skillets and DOs the same dimensions to use the same lids.

Back