Yellowish Tint on Griswold Hinged Skillet

MarilynM

I picked up this 1102 bottom part of a Griswold Hinged Skillet at an estate sale. It was covered in a buildup of gunk from many years of use. I cleaned it in a lye tank and started the seasoning process in the oven but now I’m noticing a yellowish tint on parts of the skillet on the inside side walls. Can someone tell me what this is and how to clean it off?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2316.jpeg
    IMG_2316.jpeg
    289.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2317.jpeg
    IMG_2317.jpeg
    283.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2318.jpeg
    IMG_2318.jpeg
    333.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2319.jpeg
    IMG_2319.jpeg
    283.7 KB · Views: 8
Is the texture of the iron also different in those spots? It may simply be erosion of the polished surface has caused the new seasoning to look different colors.

The spotted area may feel a slight smoother but the difference is minor. The spots were there before I started to season. Should I put it back in the lye tub and let it soak awhile longer? Just not sure what would caused this? The pan had a substantial thick build up of years of cooking when I got it. Could it have been a certain type of cooking oil someone used?

Attachments

• IMG_2321.jpeg
    IMG_2321.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2322.jpeg
    IMG_2322.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 7
Note how the upper, different color area still has the distinct polish grinding marks the lower area doesn't. I don't see any cause to start over.

Back