Age of BSR Red Mountain #8

MGriffin

Hi all. Great forum you have here. I recently was gifted a cast iron skillet that belonged to my grandmother before she past away 8 years ago. I'd have to think I've personally eaten close to 1,000 pieces of bacon, and probably half that many chicken drumettes fried in this pan, but I digress. Thanks to info on this site I have begun the process of restoring it, and also identifying it. Seems to be a common BSR Red Mountain #8. My question is, do the markings on it indicate the age at all? I know the Red Mountains were made from 1930 to the mid fifties, but I'm wondering if the crudeness of the etchings might be an indication that it came from the earlier part of that period. My mom believes this is the skillet that my grandmother had all of her (my mom's) life, but I'm trying to figure out if it was likely her mom's before that. Thanks in advance for any help.

nice pan. I like the pans with the weird markings and symbols. ive been striking out lately but I'll take a stab at and say early 30's since it looks hand written.

Nice skillet; love that you inherited it--that makes so much difference!

Thanks, and I agree. There's a lot of love, in the form of good food, that has come from that skillet over many years. I actually didn't strip it down any further than I did in the pic above. The other side, the actual cooking surface, was done more meticulously, but I liked the idea of leaving a little of Nana's "essence" on the non-cooking surface.

Back