Alfred Andresen acorn hinge

Bonnie Scott

Jeffrey's waffle post inspired me to get to work seasoning some of mine. I am working on this one today but I can't figure out which is the right base? Any ideas?
Image Image

Early Griswold #8 acorn hinge were p/n 976/977, so it might be inferred that a 975 base fit them. May fit this one as well. Or a 985 high base.

I tried the 975 but the part where the handle sits seems a little large. The 985 feels more like a good fit, the 975 wobbled a bit when I turned the iron, the 985 was a smooth flip.
I found my other wooden handle but it's not the right fit. I think maybe this one had the little stubby handles.

975 WICo bases I've seen have a squared handle journal. Different Griswold 975s have either a squared or a rounded one.

Hi! I purchased an Alfred Andresen Kornucopia Krumbkake iron and am awaiting it's arrival. Now, amazed at all the vintage irons, and trying to date the one I purchased.
I have a few questions and hoping someone may be able to help:
Mine is marked 975 WICo. on base - does this mean Western Importing Co.? Does this mean mine was made after Alfred was ousted? So, 1913 or later? And how long were these made?
Another clue may be that mine has a simple teardrop cut out in the handle of the base. All the others I've viewed, whether marked Griswold or WICo., have a fancier design in the base's handle.
Thanks for any info!

Back