Cast Alum. Collection Restoration

MDFraley

Been looking at these pieces of aluminum for several months setting in my shop floor and a couple days ago I decided to restore them to what I think is like new condition minus the few chink marks they've received over the years. My house being up for sale has prompted me to do something with them thus cleaning before packing was the answer.
The four pieces displayed are as follows:
A) Griswold American No 608 Slant logo Aluminum WI w/ handle low base #327E. I didn't do a before pic but believe me that aluminum was just about as black as the base it sets on.

B) Griswold 5 Qt. A515 slant logo Aluminum tea kettle. The lid ring where attached to the handle base is broken but the lid still sets nicely on top. I have been looking for almost a year for a replacement and finally have given up but she still polished up quiet nicely.

C) Club Hammercraft aluminum fry pan. It measures 9 3/4" which is about the same size as a #8 CI skillet. These were made by the Club Aluminum Co. and can be found in most antique stores and flea markets and very reasonable prices.

D) Mystery griddle...Have no idea the maker since there were no clues to any markings. It's oval in shape measuring apx. 17 1/4" L by 7 1/2" wide and has a depth of 1". I paid $12 for it in Arizona and considered making it fire ant sculpture at one time. The handle is removable by simply lifting upwards and out. Think I may keep it in hopes to use on a camp fire one day while off the grid. To be honest I haven't researched it but its very similar to the shape of the Sportsman Grill.

You should warn people about possibly needing sunglasses when they click on the link... I didn't have any on and now have the griswold logo from that waffle iron burned into my retinas.... but it's wearing off.

that shine... wow. I don't usually like the aluminum pieces... but I might take a closer look next time I see one.

I did a little research after I posted these pics and apparently the oval griddle was made by "Ovenshire" back in the 60's. The pics I saw had the name across the handle insert area but the one I have does not. Maybe its a knock-off but regardless it is heavy duty aluminum and well constructed.

B) Griswold 5 Qt. A515 slant logo Aluminum tea kettle. The lid ring where attached to the handle base is broken but the lid still sets nicely on top. I have been looking for almost a year for a replacement and finally have given up but she still polished up quiet nicely.

Is it possible to have it welded? I would think a repair would be easier on aluminum than CI.

Nice work, by the way.

Repairs in general are obvious to the eye and most collectors avoid doing them. I'm still in hopes of finding a replacement lid someday but for now it will remain as is.
Thanks for your input.

MDFraley, Since you have had great suces in your restoration process with those aluminum pieces, care to share some of your tips and tricks.

I am looking for all good advice from anyone that has been down this road. TY :)
You should warn people about possibly needing sunglasses when they click on the link... I didn't have any on and now have the griswold logo from that waffle iron burned into my retinas.... but it's wearing off.

that shine... wow. I don't usually like the aluminum pieces... but I might take a closer look next time I see one.
I concur with the above statement.

Over the years picking and antiquing, it was my choice to pass on all aluminum pieces, well untill yesterday. Only due to it's condition, well price did play a small part.

I enter my First Aluminum Piece;

Griswold 544 Colonial Design "Safety Fill" Tea Kettle by Jeffrey R., on Flickr

Back