Cast iron skillet with raised 8 on the handle and PT underneath

Greg Brinkmann

I went to an estate sale recently and found this old # 8 (raised) with a pretty notable heat ring. Anyone familiar with the PT designation at 6 o'clock underneath and a raised number 8 on the handle up top?

Many thanks for your help

Attachments

• IMG_3675.JPEG
    IMG_3675.JPEG
    191.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3676.JPG
    IMG_3676.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3679.JPG
    IMG_3679.JPG
    246.3 KB · Views: 10
The PT is the initials of the foundryman who made the mold. Some would like to think these, with the "smashed" handle reinforcement ridge, are possibly Blacklock, the predecessor of Lodge. The roughness seen on the inner edges of the handle, along with other voids in the casting, might suggest a copy of one of those pans, as opposed to an original.

Many thanks for your quick reply Doug. The pictures I submitted are right out of the electrolysis tank so they do look a little rougher but turn out nice with some seasoning. Thanks again!

Were the raised numbers on the top of the handle (Lodge 1930s) part of the pattern or added by the foundryman? The examples I've seen seem too consistent to be added manually.

I can't think of any reason that would make sense to have the numeral added at casting time.

I was only thinking of the effort to make a raised numeral on the pattern without modern CNC. Unless I'm missing something easy.

Consider that the pattern in the foundryman's hand was at least a generation or two away from the master created by the pattern maker. The numeral was likely a small casting unto itself, applied to the sub-master used to cast/create the aluminum working patterns. There was a lot people were able to accomplish even before CNC, if they put their minds to it..

Back