Couple More Pans

RJ Ruchti

Iowa version of White Pole Road Yard Sale that run from Friday thru Sunday for about 35 miles. Not near as many yard sales but did find one with some cast iron. First one is nothing special, #8 unmarked Wagner. Had about 7 or 8 total pans. All "looked" clean on the inside but vert cruddy on the outside. And I do mean VERY. Inside was smooth but painted, then a light coating of oil applied. The #8 was an older pan is the reason I chose it over several others.

IMG_3024.JPG IMG_3027.JPG

Now this one I am not sure what it is. Handle casting is rough and unfinished on the inside of the teardrop. The spouts are small out of proportion. The size number is clearly "13-7/16 inch". Never seen a pan sized to the 1/16 inch. "MADE IN USA" at 12 o'clock in about 5/16 high block letters. Unusual size and location. Inside was doctored the same as the #8 but cleaned up fairly well. Outside took some work and time in the jye bath and E-tank. Had some staining left on the inside of the heat ring. My guess is that some small foundry copied a Wanger pan and added their own attributes. Any idea?

IMG_3034.JPG IMG_3029.JPG

The guy selling these was a class act. I casually made the comment 'nice paint job'. Barly audible "No paint on them". Then the bragging began. Got about 30 pans. ( SO?) He asked if I ever seen an Indian head pan. Of course he had one. The asked if I ever seen a 5-gallon Dutch Oven? I replied ' only been collecting for a year or so. Of course he had one and paid $600 for it. And so his conversation went. He finally said he would take my offer. I paid him and went down the road.

Does the #12 sit flat? So many of the larger skillets are warped on the bottom. 60s BSR is probably pretty thick and heavy though.

Yes, the pan sits flat. That is one of the first things I check if I can when I find one I am interested in. This is the 3rd large pan I have now. Daughter's family is 5 + the two of us takes a big pan to cook a meal in. I have a couple user pans that are spinners, but they still work great on a gas stove.
Just imagine if someone tried to cook in a pan that had been painted.
Every one of his pans had been painted but he denied it. Not much a person can do other than warn a potential buyer away from the seller. I have cleaned up several that had been painted. E-tank takes care of that OK.

Good to know that the e-tank takes "care of" paint.

I have seen a few old pots that look like they were used for other than cooking or as a planter. I wouldn't trust even the e-tank to take care of use for melting lead ....

I have the lead test swabs but have not used one as yet. I have often wondered though, Instructions say to wet the swab, shake off the excess water, then rubbing the pan in one area for 30 seconds. Are they talking about rubbing the cast iron, the seasoned area or?? Unless the pan is bare cast iron how can this test be accurate?

Back