E-tank solution longevity and when to change it

DanaH

Hi all. Long time lurker here, first time poster. I’ve been accumulating cast iron for close to a decade in order to keep some for personal use, maybe collect a few special pieces, and maybe to sell some. It piled up for years until last year when I restored a few pieces in a lye bath. A month or so ago I finally got around to putting together an e-tank. And that’s the source of most of my questions that I’m hoping someone can help me with.

I bought a 35-gallon plastic barrel, I had a manual battery charger that I picked up at a yard sale a couple years ago, and I bought some 6” x 24“ 16-ga. steel for anodes at Home Depot. I’ve done probably about five skillets so far, and the sheet steel is getting pretty honeycombed already, so it doesn’t produce very good current for very long even after cleaning with a wire brush on a drill. I went to a scrapyard the other day and bought some sheets of plate steel that are about a 1/4” thick and about 8” x 24”. Those should serve well for a while. I also ordered some graphite sheets online from Amazon, but I haven’t used them yet. I also bought some 1/4” plate of what was supposedly stainless steel at the same scrapyard, but it is not magnetic. So I’m not positive that they correctly ID’d it as stainless steel.

I’ve read a lot of posts about when to change the electrolyte— some say when it gets dirty and others say they almost never change it. I’m using sodium carbonate, a.k.a. washing soda. The water is very rusty looking, and I’ve periodically skimmed off as much crud as I can that’s suspended on the surface using a kitchen strainer. Does the condition of the water negatively affect the functioning of the anode at this early a stage?

I expect to periodically dispose of the electrolyte solution into the sanitary sewer system via flushing it down the toilet. But that’s my main concern with using stainless steel as an anode, if, in fact, I have stainless steel or can acquire some. And are there any concerns about the dissolved graphite in the solution and disposing it through the sanitary sewer system?

Thanks in advance for any responses to my questions and also for all of the helpful info here elsewhere.

I use an old beat up rocked out lawnmower blade for a anode. works great ! I change the water once in a blue moon. I skim the crud off the top when it floats.

I go for anode surface area because I am impatient. I use 2 anodes connected by clip-leads. Metal sheets from Lowes/Home Depot work but are a bit pricey and thin so they only stand for a few clean-ups with the grinder. On one occasion, I got some 10 gage (.135" thick) sheets. They still rust and need cleaning but there is more there to clean.

Attachments

• E-Tank.jpg
    E-Tank.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 6
You will be very happy with the graphite anodes. They don't need cleaning, don't appreciably deteriorate, and they're just a form of carbon, so no disposal issues to be concerned with.

I tried to find some graphite anodes a while ago per your suggestion. I was unable to find any of a reasonable width, length and thickness. I guess I didn't use the correct search terms. Any help there would be appreciated.

I go for anode surface area because I am impatient. I use 2 anodes connected by clip-leads. Metal sheets from Lowes/Home Depot work but are a bit pricey and thin so they only stand for a few clean-ups with the grinder. On one occasion, I got some 10 gage (.135" thick) sheets. They still rust and need cleaning but there is more there to clean.
Yeah, I’m going to have to be on the lookout for a good source. The Home Depot steel option is just like you said: expensive and short-lived. The plate steel at the scrapyard is not a bad price, but they have a $25 minimum charge, and it’s hit or miss as to what they have available.

I tried to find some graphite anodes a while ago per your suggestion. I was unable to find any of a reasonable width, length and thickness. I guess I didn't use the correct search terms. Any help there would be appreciated.
I ran into the same thing. They weren’t easy to find in very large sizes, and they weren’t exactly cheap. I ended up getting some that were 400mm x 200mm x 10mm (~16x8x.4), and I think they were about 50 bucks apiece.

You will be very happy with the graphite anodes. They don't need cleaning, don't appreciably deteriorate, and they're just a form of carbon, so no disposal issues to be concerned with.
Do they dirty the solution any more than other materials (thereby requiring more frequent changes)? Can lye be used as the electrolyte with the graphite? I rather like the idea of getting the dual action of both processes as well as being able to just leave them in the tank if I need to shut it down for a while, but don’t have time to finish it up.

Here’s the way it’s set up at the moment. I have a rusty old wrench in there right now that my father-in-law found buried on his property, and I told him I’d give it a shot to see how well it cleaned up. I put in just one of the new steel plates because the old ones from Home Depot were just about spent. The last pic shows the two additional plate steel pieces and the supposed stainless steel pieces. I may end up selling them back at scrap prices if they won’t give me my money back, which I kinda doubt they’ll do anyway.

IMG_1505.jpegIMG_1504.jpegIMG_1503.jpeg

Back