Fakes?

CJMunnich

2015-09-25 16.31.57.jpg

2015-09-25 16.32.06.jpg

2015-09-25 16.32.14.jpg

I think I may have picked up some reproduction items recently. The "0" size pan was pretty cruddy and rusty when I first got it and was hard to tell. The ash tray looks pretty good as far as quality, but has no match holder.

What do you folks think?

The toy skillet is obviously repro. The ashtray depends on if you believe Wagner made them from altered Griswold patterns or not. The quality is usually good enough to believe so.

Thanks for the confirmation. Good thing I only paid a couple of bucks for them.

Don't feel too bad. I've actually knowingly purchased fakes before because I thought it was an interesting part of cast iron history. A couple easily recognizable fakes, and a few class project re-castings. I'd hold on to those.

I probably will hold on to them, at least for a little while. The toy skillet was pretty nasty with paint, crud, and rust. Make for a good before and after. Can't complain for $2 purchase price.

This one is short a few of the cobs to make the K's. It has one clear cob in front of each word. I overspent on it, but it was a good purchase because I met a dealer who sold me a lot more iron really cheap. :icon_thumbsup:

I have a tea size "rusty orn obs" pan p/n 1318. Nobody got time for K's. :laughup:

Do you want to make your money Back? I (we) know who has a top of the line collection of different, cast iron pieces.

Any of the following meet the standard.

Rusty and crusty
re-castings
pitted
bowed
cracked
fake
repaired
reproduction

It is only cast iron history one and green backs to you.:icon_rofl:

Bonnie- interesting... There a quite a few differences! I picked these two up for a dollar a couple weeks ago.
5tsJCkXl.jpg

No, I'm very sure they're real!

Edit: I was just saying it was interesting to compare them to fakes. It's not just a difference in casting quality, the text is different, there are feet on the fakes, etc.

No, I'm very sure they're real!

Edit: I was just saying it was interesting to compare them to fakes. It's not just a difference in casting quality, the text is different, there are feet on the fakes, etc.

Yes, you are correct, they are the real thing. You did well for $1.00 :icon_thumbsup:

Bonnie- interesting... There a quite a few differences! I picked these two up for a dollar a couple weeks ago.
5tsJCkXl.jpg
I passed up a Griswold tea sized corn stick pan this weekend. Pretty sure it was a fake. There was too much seasoning built up inside the cob molds to see how much detail there was, but the back side was as rough as a modern Lodge skillet. He wanted $25 for it!

Bonnie, hah yeah. The thread is making me feel like everyone has a competing collection of fakes. Maybe I need to build mine, just have one reproduction #8

I am going to sell one of those korn pans. I've never sold a piece of CI in my life but it would be nice if the hobby were a little bit self sustaining.

There's a fake toy wagner waffle iron at one of the local antique malls here, I've told them it's fake but they still haven't changed the price.

Back