Griswold Muffin Pans

MDFraley

Found these two pans on my recent trip out west, both in the same store. Didn't see any reason to split them up so brought them both back with me.
According to the CIC Resources there are some 15 variations to the #10 Muffin Pan. In the BB page 106 the 948 was supposing made between 1890-1910. The 949 I believe was made around the 1950's. I don't have the Muffin/Gem Pan book so I may be off on the dates. Anyone care to correct any mistake I've made feel free to do so.
Here are several pics of them. Haven't cleaned them yet but they still look pretty good.
http://imgur.com/a/ginmT

I sure like that Erie Michael, the condition is really nice. I think it's the Variation 4, on account of that dot after the 10. I look forward to seeing how they look after you fire up the cup brush with steel wool attached. The 949 is nice also but that 948 is the one I'd like to have.

I'd say you're pretty good on your dates, as the Muffin Pan book lists the pans as being made from the 1880s to the 50s. The book won't help you with when any variation was made as it just gives "from-to" dates. It's great in showing how to ID the different variations and lists their rarity. Most of the #10s have a rarity of 1 to 3, but Variations 3 & 4 have a 4 rating. The values are out of date, of course, but give some idea of how they relate to each other.

I've often wondered if the variations shown for different pans follow any chronological order or if they were just arbitrarily determined when there is such a range of years involved. Seems like the first and the last styles made would be a pretty sure thing, but what about everything in between?

I'd agree with Bonnie on the VAR. 4, because of the dot after the 10 and what looks to be a "948" perpendicular to the "Erie". The Book shows a rarity of 1.

Last edited:
Thanks Bonnie & Mike,
I feel these two will clean up nicely as the cups are very smooth and the castings are much better than those normally found. The 948 ERIE was the one that caught my eye first and I couldn't wait to see if the price I paid was worth it. I was quiet happy according to the prices of books that are now somewhat outdated. I think both of you for your input. I had only one CI muffin pan prior to purchasing these two which was a Lodge that I picked up at a garage sale. I had a heck of a time getting it seasoned and hopefully I've learned my lesson on what to not do. You all must have the Gem Pan catalogue that show the variations thus making it easier to ID these pans. I did see that Griswold made the 949 with the USN which I assume was made specifically for the U.S. Navy? Bet that one is somewhat of a rarity.

Back