Help Dating Birmingham Stove & Range Co. #3 Skillet

Blake Awbrey

Dear Group,
I have a #3 skillet made by BSR and I could use some help in dating the piece. The heat ring is unbroken and inset and if you hold the skillet up like a hand mirror with the handle pointing straight down the markings are just above the handle inside the heat ring. Here's a photo of the marks:
birm_zps0d5f4741.jpg

The characters NO. 3 measure 1/4" tall, the 6 is 1/4" tall the 5/8 is 3/8" tall, the IN. is 1/4" tall and the 1 at bottom is 3/16" tall.

The skillet has no other marks and the ridge on the bottom of the skillet handle does not flatten out at the sidewall.

I know an exact date is not likely but a decade range would really help me out. The skillet is in perfect condition and if someone can give me a ballpark value, the books I have don't cover BSR, I would truly appreciate it.

Thank you!

Sincerely, Blake

This style marking, without "Made In USA", is ca. 1950s. In excellent condition, ~ $5-10.

Dear Doug,
Thank you very much for your reply; it was very helpful. As well as being a collector I also am a dealer and I sometimes sell the more common pieces I find to enable me to buy and keep the rarer pieces. I research and ask questions about everything no matter what I finally decided to do with it.
But, when an item is placed in my booth it has a customer tag as well as a price tag that lists when the item was made, by who and any information a collector/buyer would find interesting. I seem to attract more repeat business that way because the buyer knows he or she is not going to get home, do a little research and find out the piece that was supposed to be from the 1880's or 1925 etc. was actually made in 1986.

Again, thank you for your help.

Yours, Blake

P.S. I'm keeping the skillet because my mother now remembers that it was part of a set given to her as a wedding present in 1957.

Back