Help me date this Lodge #16 camp oven

Carl_M

This big girl arrived completely unseasoned and unused. It's like the previous owner bought it, stored it, and never used it. It even came with the tag that says 16CO2.

When did Lodge start making size 16 Camp Ovens?
From what I understand (link), they were 14-quart ovens that were discontinued in 2000 (correct?)
Then Lodge brought them back in 2003, but as a 12-quart (correct?)
I also read on Reddit that they were discontinued again in 2012 (correct?)

I've seen others that have the word "Lodge" on the lid (mine doesn't). Is mine an original, 14-quart CO?
What is the year (or year range) for this CO?

Catalogs show something of these general dimensions and weight was produced since the 1930s or 40s as "country hollowware" or after as "deep oven and lid". One source appears to indicate that which Lodge finally started calling camp ovens began around 1965. The CO2 helps narrow it down. Lodge catalogs have some discrepancies that don't make much sense but...

Cat#--Year--Qts--Wt in lbs.--width--depth
16CO2--1990--12--32--16"--7-3/4" (includes legs apparently)
16CO2--1997--12--32--16"--4-1/2"
16CO2--2000--14--38--16"--4-1/2"
L16CO3--2005--12--30--16"--4-1/4" L= Lodge Logic pre-seasoned. In this catalog some sizes are offered as CO2 "original finish" (not Lodge Logic), but not the 16".

Really doubt the weights and capacities are different, or that 1/4" amounts to a 2 quart reduction in capacity. Variances could be item weight vs. packing weight. Or typos.

Measurements for my oven are...

Weight of oven with lid: 36.5 lbs
Weight of oven without lid: 22.2 lbs
Weight of lid without oven: 14.3 lbs
Width: 16"
Depth (measured from inside the oven): 4 1/2"
Height (measured outside the oven, from bottom of feet to top edge of lid): 7 1/2"
(Note: the lid handle is the highest point - probably at around 7 3/4")

With this in mind, what do you think the date range is?

...and.. yeah, wait a minute... according to the catalog numbers you just posted...
how can the 16CO2 from 1990 have the same capacity (12 qt) as the 1997 if the 1990 is 3-1/4" taller? (with same width). How could they have the same weight? .... that doesn't mathematically work

Last edited:
Do you think there's any chance Lodge could help, if I called them and read to them the bar code numbers?

The dimensions are as printed in the catalogs. I noted that I assumed the 7-3/4" in the 1990 catalog included legs (or as you measured yours, the lid and handle as well).

Not seeing where 1896 was mentioned.

Not necessarily. Would have to also assume the depths in the other catalogs don't include legs or cover.

I don't have any catalogs dated prior to 1990 that give any clue as to when the CO2 revision first occurred. There is no 16CO2 in the 2004 catalog, either, so I tend to believe the latest yours could be would be 2002-2003.

Just marketing. "Joseph Lodge since 1896", maybe more accurate. I didn't notice it was an album. If the tag wasn't there, just looking at the bottom we could only say after the mid-1960s since it has Made In USA. Hard to say what the CO2 revision actually means since it only appears in catalogs, and not on the pieces themselves. The covers previously had a different style handle, or maybe a different bail attachment style, but who knows? CO3 is probably the bottom with the egg logo.

Back