Iron Hunting

Jeffrey R.

Looks like a few folks went iron hunting this weekend. Well... so did I, 300 miles round trip and lobster dinner. I spent less on fuel than iron, that is a good day.

Fresh out of what State? :icon_rofl:

My love of kettles did not let me down.:biggrin:

N.jpg

10.3.15%25252Chunt_1482.jpeg

3 or 4 new pieces added to my collection, well the wife is keeping one! :chuckle:
Eye Candy

Some very interesting pieces there. Have you ID'd the one to the left of the Vollrath lid? I am also curious about the clover leaf logo, too.

The skillet with the clover was hanging on the wall at an antique shop when I last visited the shop in May in the great state of ? :icon_scratchchin:

At the time they had an antique $price$ tag on it. It was new to the shop and they did not want to lower the price at that point. For me this was a I, WANT not a NEED. So I said that we will leave it and when we return and it is still there, it was meant to be. I have spent a fair amount or $$ with the owner, so he does work with me, but he said that this was the first one that he has seen because it was very rare. Well, something was waiting for me. At this time still swimming in the lye tank at 28 degrees last night.

Have you ID'd the one to the left of the Vollrath lid?
One of those that we will probably never know, but still swimming.

No one wants to guess, Fresh out of what State?

I did see that FB posting.

As for anything smoking related, I let others collect that stuff. I lost my father to cancer from smoking.

Jeffrey R., I can't argue with your antipathy for smoking, but I have found the ashtrays make good holders for fat pillar candles. Re: the Portland skillet. Is it in the neighborhood of 100-120 years old? I have such an affection for the really old use items--they are living history. This forum lets me know how many people feel similarly about these durable, but often misused utensils. Nice to know I'm not alone! And by the way, 300 miles?!! You are a devotee! I respect the distance you guys go to find iron, but I couldn't do it myself. Good thing there were lots of yard sales and local auctions when we were acquiring pieces!

Last edited:
And by the way, 300 miles?!! You are a devotee! I respect the distance you guys go to find iron, but I couldn't do it myself. Good thing there were lots of yard sales and local auctions when we were acquiring pieces!

Around here, there's no choice but to travel. Antique malls get the odd piece in, but I haven't seen a purchasable piece in months. We do overnighters just to get away and hit the local shops.

Since it says Bangor on it I will guess Maine.

I put the kettle photo with Bangor first to help you all. :eek:

Maine and lobster go hand and hand.:glutton:

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Jeffrey R., I can't argue with your antipathy for smoking, but I have found the ashtrays make good holders for fat pillar candles. Re: the Portland skillet. Is it in the neighborhood of 100-120 years old? I have such an affection for the really old use items--they are living history. This forum lets me know how many people feel similarly about these durable, but often misused utensils. Nice to know I'm not alone! And by the way, 300 miles?!! You are a devotee! I respect the distance you guys go to find iron, but I couldn't do it myself. Good thing there were lots of yard sales and local auctions when we were acquiring pieces!

I will still leave the ashtrays for candle lovers, or what ever.:biggrin:

100-120 years old, about right.

300 miles, that is for just one day. But I have been known to travel 1000 miles round trip for something that I wanted. It is only miles.

Back