Midget Atlanta Stove Works No. 8 stove

LVaughn

1.jpg

2.jpg

We found this at a shop yesterday and just had to bring it home. It is a small cast iron stove, I assume it is a laundry stove? It is very clean inside and out, I don't think it was ever fired. We bought it with the idea of using it in our outdoor kitchen to do a bit of cooking on just for fun. I don't see many of this particular model online. It seems to have all the bits, including the grate inside. Any comments appreciated.

Wow, that looks brand new. I love these old wood/coal burners. If you use it outside I think you would be ok without a flue, but id make one, little high. I would think the smoke and such wouldnt be any worse than a charcoal grill.

Nice looking stove. Did you also get the grate shaker handle and eye lifter?

By the way do yourself a favor invest in a flue, the fumes will kill you. Not to mention the unique smoky flavor. Smoking with wood is not the same and don't think about coal with out a flue.

Unfortunately we did not get the grate shaker handle or the eye lifter, it was missing those bits. I have been watching for both since finding this stove, might find something suitable one of these days. We plan to only burn wood in it, maybe occasionally charcoal, and only outside. I do plan to add a length or two of stove pipe to at least put any smoke above eye/nose level. Also I figured it would be needed to make it draw properly.

You should not have any problem finding a grate shaker handle and eye lifter, I see them around at times. you are 100% right a flue would be needed to make it draw properly. Use some dry hardwood for your fire, at least it will smell better than softwood. Have some fun with it.

Back