Please! What am I doing wrong with this first coat of seasoning?

Tanner Chambers

I can't for the life of me get this lodge pan to season properly. I've looked up different ways to season and watched many videos on seasoning and can't seem to get it to stick to the cooking surface. However, it does stick to the side of the pan. They have a nice glassy look but the cooking surface is still rough/dry to the touch with a dull look to it. It does have small specs of seasoning on the bottom that look like maybe I burt the seasoning off or as if I used to much oil but I have tried this many times and have wiped this pan more than enough to get the excess oil out. i have also tried not wiping it off as much and again, the only seasoning that seems to stick is around the sides of the pan. I'm the furthest from an expert but I do know the basics. No acidic foods, clean the pan while hot with a soft brush or rag and no soap.

*Things I have tried*
Cleaning the pan and heating it to dry it out.
covering the whole pan in Avocado oil and wiping it down so there isn't any excess oil.
placed the pan upside down and left it for 1 hour and I've tried 40 minutes.
The temperatures I have tried are 350 degrees, 450 degrees, and 500 degrees.

am I doing something wrong here?

Here is the best info you'll find anywhere.

Several unknowns here. Is it a modern (unpolished) factory pre-seasoned Lodge, or a vintage polish ground one? Is the seasoning being applied to bare iron or over an established layer of seasoning? Avocado oil isn't a particularly popular choice for manual seasoning, and could be a factor. Photos may also provide clues.

Back