Recoverable?

AllenG

This old pan had severe buildup on the out side which came off after baking. I then sanded the inside and tried to season the pan. The outside came out pretty good but the inside was streaked. I did a lye bath then did a couple of seasoning it turned out as shown. What more can I do?d

Attachments

• IMG_2599.jpeg
    IMG_2599.jpeg
    407 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2601.jpeg
    IMG_2601.jpeg
    233.5 KB · Views: 21
Looks to me that you're leaving your oil too thick and letting it pool in the bottom while baking it off.
You want your oil as thin as possible and then wipe it off one more time. Then bake it upside down for at least 60 minutes.

This should help you out.

I agree with the others, looks like too much oil was left on the pan. If it were mine I'd start over with a lye bath. Once the pan is stripped to bare metal wash and dry. I normally heat the pan so that it is hot but you can still touch it. wipe it down with Crisco then wipe off as much as I can with a clean dry lint free cloth. Then follow the directions on this site to season..

I would have never sanded it at all. I use Easy Off, works good. Just dont sand your next pan.

after lye and seasoning it again, properly, see attached. Fried some eggs in it this morning. No sticking!

Attachments

• castiron skillet.jpg
    castiron skillet.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 8
Back