Wagner Ware skillet age?

REWilliams

Started restoring cast iron this week and built an etank. Got this Wagner Ware at an antique store for $15. Cleaned up nicely! Any idea on a date range? I assume by what I’ve read so far that it was 1959-69 after Wagner was sold. I’m gonna use it as a daily driver (sorry had a 68 Mustang for 35 years). Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_8131.jpeg
    IMG_8131.jpeg
    264.9 KB · Views: 22
The markings, lacking "Sidney -O-", place the pan after Wagner was acquired by another company in the late 1950s. The Made In USA places it mid-1960s or later. The company would change hands and markings a few times after. While not a collectible per se, the cooking surface is still factory polished, making it a good user.

And it turned out just fine.
Most of my daily pans would not be considered collectable. But they get the job done and look great doing it.

Thank you! Paid $15 for it at antique store. Still better than the new bumpy cast iron pans.
I am seeing a lot of stores with high prices on cast iron that is not “top shelf” and not old. I saw a 1960’s Wagner for $60. I’m learning! Thank you both!!!

Just think.....the newer bumpy ones get real nice and smooth ,but it takes a few years, lol....its mind over matter!

Just think.....the newer bumpy ones get real nice and smooth ,but it takes a few years, lol....its mind over matter!
Or... since they are not presently collectable, sand them smooth, re-season and move on. 50 years from now, the rough finish will probably be collectable. Oh well.

I restored unmarked, lodge, Pique, Sidney O, Griswold, and Birmingham… and man, so far, the Sidney o’s are super smooth and light weight!

Back