Vintage camp oven

MarkR

First time posting here. I’ve enjoyed looking and learning from the post, and I do enjoying cooking on cast iron. But I stumbled upon something yesterday that I thought some of you might find interesting. Only marking on it is the 9 in marking on the lid. It is in great shape for its age with mostly surface rust that has already been removed. In fact, I cooked breakfast in it this morning.

IMG_1856.jpegIMG_1857.jpegIMG_1859.jpegIMG_1862.jpeg

I don’t know the story on it. I wish I did. I would love to know who took care of it and where it has been. The bail now looks to be just a piece of wire doubled up. I will fix that soon. I really just wanted to get the rust off and get some seasoning on it to protect it.

That’s what I’m thinking too. The lid has on too, but it’s been ground down. The side thickness is uneven and the top doesn’t fit on tightly like modern ovens, but for this piece, it just adds to it.

Favorite had handles on their lids that are very similar to the handles on this lid (See Unmarked Lids under Subheading Identifying Unmarked Cast Iron). It doesn't appear to have any basting drippers on the underside of the lid, but I'm not sure they put basting drippers on camp oven lids. As for the bail, I grew up on a farm, and I can tell you that you can fix anything with bailing wire. Nice find.

Thanks! Grew up on a farm too! Know what you mean about the wire. Looking at this, it may be a cloths hanger bent to fit it. The more I think about it, I think I may just leave it the way I found it.

Hey Mark. I love cooking with camp ovens.
I have none of value other than cooking value.
That's a keeper you have there.

Thanks! I just had to cook in it too! Made a mountain man breakfast. I have several modern camp ovens and I love to cook for a crowd just to watch their expressions and answer questions they have about this “new” way to cook.

That would do it! Thanks Doug! Would you have a guess as to the age of this? I think it’s one of those pieces we’ll never know much more about it other than what we see.

Although the taper of the lid handle "attachment" points is reminiscent of Favorite, I don't know if there's any evidence they made camp ware. The gatemarks to me say late 1800s.

Back